After reading Blood Dazzler by Patricia Smith, there were few poems that really stood out to me but the one that I chose to do an imitation poem of was "Rebuilding" on page seventy. This stood out to me the most because after the destruction of hurricane Katrina, my church organized a mission trip there the following summer. I was motivated to go after our town took in several families that lost every material possession and several family members and I thought if I was in their situation I would greatly appreciate a hand.
I look around me
and see destruction
there are no more trees
no more creatures
no more freedom
I look around me
and see pain
there is no more happiness
no more smiles
no more freedom
I look around me
and see hope
there are better days to come
new lives
more freedom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tisha this is really great! You captured the flow and rhythm of the poem by Smith while still making it completely your own. It's great that you can relate so much to that experience and put it inot writing. Great job!
ReplyDelete